Monday 14 February 2011

Post traumatic!

Well, Saturday night saw me returning to the National Space Centre for my Division's Brownie sleepover. I vowed that I would not return to another one, but having promised to organise it for our Division Commissioner in a weak moment while being the Brownie Holiday Advisor my hands were tied!
This time, I didn't get to sleep under the world :(
I got to sleep by the entrance to the Space Theatre - right in the line of all traffic to and from the toilet throughout the night - joy!
By 2 am the words " walk don't run, this is the last time you need to go to the toilet, go back to bed, switch off your torches and GO TO SLEEP!" had been said so many times I felt I was saying them in my sleep :)
We took 106 Brownies, 2 Guides, 6 Young Leaders and 24 adults - way too may adults but to be honest you can never have enough at a sleepover on this large scale!
We had a competition to design a badge for the event - every guide loves a badge - which we have had made up and given to all who came for the night.
All the girls left with their Stargazer badge - not sure we really completed the full syllabus but you can't sleep at the National Space Centre and not get your Stargazer badge!!
We arrived at 6.30 pm - having had tea before getting there, then after a quick safety chat from the 4 staff who would be staying with us for the night, we split into 4 groups and went around the galleries - exhibits - and completed a trail. Then we went into the space theatre and saw a film about the astronaut's body. Then we came out and had our packed suppers and then went into the big craft rooms and split into 2 groups - one made alien face masks and the other made rockets which they then went and fired at the planet earth - photo at the the top! Last time we did it we went outside, but the staff thought it was too cold! Then the groups swapped over and did the other crafts.
Then we went back into the space theatre to see the sky at night film and then it was time for bed - it was 10.40 pm already!
You sleep in and around the exhibits - they are turned off at night so you don't get them talking to you!
Girls can only bring sleep mats, adults can bring air beds!
Lights are switched off at just after 11 pm and then the torch games and fun begin!
Don't bank on sleeping if you go - you may be lucky and only doze
Lights come back on at 7 am and then it's a quick wash and change, pack up your bags, breakfast - provided by the Space Centre - and then into the shop - this takes a bit of time when they all have £5 to spend!!!
Parents collect at 9 am
Adults go home and collapse at 9.15 am!
I've had to take my large scale licence to do this - lots of paperwork to organise, but you provide a pack for each unit going and they do all the hard work!! It's really all about organisation and getting people to stick to deadlines about payment. I made all of mine pay up front - the Space Centre don't invoice you until after the event. That way cheques have cleared etc and you can pay their invoice quickly.
Things I have learnt:
People are never as organise as you are!
Give people deadlines at least 4 weeks before you need them!
If you tell the units they need 1 adult to 8 children make sure they bring the correct ratios and don't promise to cover the cost of the extra adults if they have more adults than children!
Be nice to your Division Commissioner as she will pay your overspend!
Brownies scream alot in the dark!
Did I enjoy it - yes. My report and evidence are completed and I just need the invoice from the Space Centre so that I can complete my accounts and then I can hand in my portfolio and get my large scale licence!
Parting words to the Division Commissioner - "of course we can come again in a couple of years!!!!"

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for all the detail - sorry you didn't get much sleep! I took a note of everything you said, here's hoping we can do this in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know if you need anything else :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad to have been of assistance in keeping the number of adults down :0)

    ReplyDelete